4.06.2009

sixty.four


Appropriation: borrowing elements of another artist's work to create something new.

This piece is inspired by (and stolen from) Botticelli's Birth of Venus. I like the idea of taking traditional, well-known art and changing it into a fresh, unexpected piece. Duchamp's L.H.O.O.Q comes to mind, of course. Find more examples at Tate.org. There is some debate as to whether appropriation is wrong or not; Wiki has interesting discussion regarding this. I think all art contains elements of appropriation, however subtle, since artists are influenced by everything around them. I'm still formulating my specific thoughts on the matter, though.
As far as this piece is concerned... I think it's a start, but I'd like to work on organizing it; the work is too messy. I approached the piece haphazardly, so that likely contributed to the lack of cohesion.

3 comments:

  1. Corinn... good questions.. the piece you posted here is powerful.. have you looked at any of Joseph Cornells work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. as far as appropriation goes, i believe there is a fine line, however because art is so firmly based on emotion, i believe reading in between the lines of an artist when they appropriate art (aka corinn, since your piece above in a sense "show cases" the art by placing it in the middle with other elements adding to its beauty, i believe Botticelli would notice that you appreciated his work, weren't trying to take credit for it and knew by the way you portrayed his painting that it was about his work by the work you did. not about your work...if that makes sense)...i think you can tell when the artist of appropriated work is trying to "steal the thunder" from the original artist...like i said, fine line because art is so subjective, but i don't think appropriation is strictly right or wrong...has to do with the particular circumstance of the appropriation and the motives for doing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Appropriation is not a clearly black and white issue. I believe that it is acceptable in certain situations. Using the piece in the way which you did does not bother me because of the use of mixed media. I do not mind when people incorporate other's ideas into their work, if they take it in a new direction. Looking at art history, it can clearly be seen how the "masters" were influenced by their contemporary's work. This was considered acceptable because they were learning and making the work their own.

    However, in the case of Duchamp, to take a urinal and sign it and call it his own, I don't agree with this. Can one really take directly from another and call it their own? I don't have an issue with pulling inspiration from artist. However, like Jenn said, there is a very fine line. I believe that Duchamp crossed it. It frustrates me that this "work" is considered art.

    As you can see, I am still gathering my thoughts on this issue. This just where I currently am in the process.

    ReplyDelete