3.16.2009

forty.three


Continuing the cardboard series. These paintings have been darker than usual... reflection of stress? uncertainty? Tonight I accompanied Brahms' Violin Sonata No.1 at a friend's recital. It is the most challenging accompaniment I've played to date... including nearly 30 minutes of frantic sixteenth notes and crazy Brahmsian rhythms.
In the days before performances I always freak out and have dark thoughts with feelings of inadequacy and doubt. During performances my mind is super-alert so every sensation is greatly magnified. My thoughts are scattered and frantic - keep the triplets even, I have a test tomorrow, why didn't he text, don't rush those measures, crap it's hot in here, I miss the beach, bring out the melody, the piano is dusty ... Anxiety does weird things to people. I think these paintings have been a needed outlet for some of that apprehension.
... All of that in an attempt to explain my inspiration of late. Not always visual but often based upon experiences... abstract snapshots of life.

2 comments:

  1. Is life full of doubt, I think this life is to be and do not need to have a fundamental doubt. you look beautiful in the profile photos. always happy and successful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this is why I love you. (=

    ReplyDelete