2.11.2009

twenty




My "non-traditional" surface for today. I enjoy the 3dimensional aspect of this piece. It was a unique (messy) experience working with drippy watercolor on a curved surface. Originally I had planned on drawing human figures on top of the watercolor, but I later realized that any pen & ink drawing would detract from the interaction of the paint on the curved surface.
This sort of work ultimately raises questions...What is formal "art"? Does the paint on the Starbucks cup merely act as a decorative effect - something that Starbucks would release as part of a Spring promotion - or does the paint transform the cup from a common object
to a piece of art?


2 comments:

  1. thanks... for sharing this.. great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea. are you going to keep working with it. It is very pastel. I could starbucks really doing something for a special edition like this. I feel like you really have something good.

    ReplyDelete